If you have just 12 oz of extra strawberries and you’re not sure what to do with them, try this 3 ingredient no pectin jam. It’s fast, easy, and makes one pint jar.
My always problem with jam is that I want more flavor and less sweet. But jam depends on the high sugar content to protect it from bacterial growth. The sugar also helps with the thickening of the jam so decreasing the amount of sugar is not an option.
The strawberries in my Victory Garden are coming in strong and I wanted to make some jam.
I decided that I’d replace ¼ of the strawberries with cranberries. This does two things: the tartness of the cranberries offsets the overall sweetness of the jam, AND because cranberries have tons of pectin, they help set the jam quickly and effortlessly.
The end product is a strawberry jam that’s both tart and sweet. The cranberry flavor is not discernable and does its job brilliantly. The entire project took me less than an hour and very little hands on time.
Quick Tart Strawberry Jam
- ¾ lb Strawberries (fresh; hulled & halved)
- ¼ lb Cranberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1½ cups Organic Evaporated Cane Juice
- Bring strawberries, cranberries and sugar to a boil over medium heat, stirring often.
- The berries should bubble and foam vigorously. Continue to mash the berries as you stir. Stir often to prevent burning.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes until the mixture begins to coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour into 1 pint jar. Cool and refrigerate or water bath can to make shelf stable.